+ Nederlandse tekst
susie-endenburg-opening-speech.jpgWhat an honor to be here at the opening of the exhibition of Ronald and Ronald Lindgreen, one is my grandfather, the other my cousin. Both have become skilled in painting. I think they are not namesakes for nothing. Both are great people.

If you look back on the life of grandfather Ronald, it is striking how driven he was his whole life. How incredibly much he has painted. And how important he thought it was to continue to develop oneself.
In addition to painting, he almost always studied something.
He chose his own path.

Grandfather Ronald was born in 1916 in Tjimahi, Indonesia.
When he was 10, he came to the Netherlands with his parents and sisters because his father became ill. His father died shortly after they arrived, and Ronald had to go to a boarding school where he attended high school. At the age of 12 he received a paint box and began to paint portraits. He also played the violin. When he got his diploma, a guardian told him: You can become anything as long as it is not an artist.
Later he wrote: and I succeeded!
The choice between painting and music was difficult.

He studied at the Royal Academy for Visual Arts in The Hague. There he met a teacher, Paul Citroen. A very important person to grandfather, with whom he would always remain friends.
Paul Citroen was the founder of the New Art School in Amsterdam, the first Free Academy in the Netherlands. Ronald was fascinated by the revolutionary insights of teaching and decided to continue studying there.
In the spring of 1938 Ronald made an excursion to Paris, which made a big impression on him. There was the life of the great artists.
At the end of 1938 Ronald left for Paris to study under the wing of Kirszenbaum, a Polish-Jewish painter. During this time he learned many things, painted a lot and also had exhibitions. Kirszenbaum appreciated the Asian elements in his work and taught Ronald to be proud of it and encouraged him to develop it further.
In the summer of 1939, a study trip led by Kirszenbaum in Brittany was abruptly ended by the beginning of the war.

Ronald returned to the Netherlands with all of his work, he had painted so much that he could immediately exhibit in the art gallery Kunst van onze tijd in The Hague. Ronald's works were emotive expressions. He painted people and objects using oil paint. The shapes are vague and without contour, painted with small spots in matte pastel shades.
During the war he could not make a living with art and became an official for the Dutch Fisheries Center.
In 1940 he had met Elly Vink and her daughter Marya. They got married in 1944. Elly became ill and Ronald became the guardian of Marya during her illness. Unfortunately, Elly died in 1945.

After the war he became a representative of the Dutch Fisheries Center sent to an opening of an exhibition by Cees Bolding. Cees Bolding was an old teacher with whom he had always kept in touch. He finally met artists again, but also Phemie. He later married Phemie and they had 2 sons. Phemie supported him throughout his life as an artist.

In 1946 Ronald went to search for Kirszenbaum in Paris. They found each other. From that time on he regularly went to work in his studio. Kirszenbaum was very important to Ronald. He needed reflection on his work. From 1947 his work changed. He painted portraits in an expressive style and painted a lot of motives with Indian ink in combination with watercolor on paper. From there on he started painting more and more with watercolors.

In 1952 he was invited for an exchange program between Dutch and French artists. Phemie said: Menton is the place to die, Annecy is the place to live. So Ronald went to Annecy. He enjoyed the landscapes and went back a few times a year to paint there (until 1958). He exhibited his work in the Netherlands and Paris.

In 1955 Ronald was Co-initiator and founder of The Hague Aquarellists. This association organized many exhibitions. Ronald was on the board as secretary and treasurer, Phemie was the great organizer, present at all exhibitions behind her table. She knew everyone and also managed to sell a lot of work.

To maintain a family, Ronald went to work at the Staatsdrukkerij. He trained as a graphic artist and studied graphic design. But also gave drawing lessons. He liked teaching, and decided to get his teaching certificates.
From 1961 to 1978 he taught at secondary schools. He allowed his students for a better school experience than he had himself. He also had something to say as a painter.

Ronald and Phemie traveled a lot. Everywhere they visited something was being painted or drawn.
We, as grandchildren, had to learn to ski, they thought. We were taken by grandfather and grandmother to Switzerland or Austria, into the mountains. We were provided with skies and put in a ski school. Grandfather and grandmother usually went for a walk. Grandfather always came back from those trips with new drawings and paintings.
Grandmother was responsible for the organization, while grandfather was a little bit more modest. But when it came to it, he let himself be heard. So for my birthday in Austria I was allowed to find a ski bag. Suddenly grandfather said: you can choose whichever one you want but for that one I would be ashamed.
It was a bag created with seal fur.

At the age of 62 he retired as a high school teacher. He did continue to teach at the Free Academy and at the Voorburgs Atelier. Ronald devoted himself entirely to making art.
There was a lot of traveling for the purpose to paint and there was a lot of painting to allow for travel. He painted everywhere, France, Spain, Austria, Switzerland, England and Yugoslavia.
In 1988 they made a trip to Corsica. On the last night of their stay there, their rental car was stolen with all the works he had made there. As a result the exhibition in Pulchri Studio had to be canceled.

After working for 20 years in a naturalistic way, in 1989 he suddenly said goodbye to this style.
Inspired by music and musical instruments, he made abstract figurative compositions with geometric shapes.
I remember well that we came to visit and we immediately had to go upstairs to admire his new painting. Grandfather was proud of his completely new work. He was glad to have found new ways.
He continued to do this until the end.

Ronald was a very modest man, a man of few words who would never put himself in the center. He was very involved and had an eye for the people around him.
Grandson Ronald was born in Celje, former Yugoslavia, now Slovenia. Like his grandfather, he came to the Netherlands as a child. Ronald grew up with the art of his grandfather. He often came into his studio and of course visited all his exhibitions. After high school he went to study at the Willem de Kooning Academy in Rotterdam where he graduated in 2001 as an autonomous painter.

Ronald was inspired by grandfather's portraits and went deeper into portrait drawing. He sometimes needed only a few lines for a striking portrait. Almost snapshots.
Then he immersed himself in the fantasies of female bodies. Painted in oil paint, tightly set up, in full motion.
In order to better understand the expressive handwriting and choice of colors of his grandfather's paintings, he chose a Zorgvliet as a study object. Through this study, he developed a completely new style and is now painting landscapes in the vicinity of his house in Zagorje, Croatia. Something he had never thought of himself to be doing. Through this a new generation of Zorgvliet's has emerged, both with their own character. Both signed by Ronald Lindgreen.

Enjoy all this wonderful work.

-- Susie Endenburg
+ Nederlandse tekst

Wat een eer om hier te staan bij de opening van de tentoonstelling van Ronald en Ronald Lindgreen, de ene Ronald mijn opa, de andere mijn neef. Beiden hebben zich bekwaamd in de schilderkunst. Ik denk dat ze niet voor niets naamgenoten zijn. Beiden zijn geweldige mensen.

Als je terugkijkt op het leven van opa Ronald valt op hoe gedreven hij zijn hele leven was. Hoe ongelofelijk veel hij heeft geschilderd. En hoe belangrijk hij het vond zich tot het laatst te blijven ontwikkelen. Naast het schilderen studeerde hij bijna altijd. Hij koos zijn eigen weg.

Opa Ronald werd geboren in 1916 in Tjimahi, voormalig Nederlands Indië. Toen hij 10 was, kwam hij met z'n ouders en zussen naar Nederland omdat vader ziek was. Zijn vader overleed en Ronald moest het internaat in waar hij zijn middelbare school deed. Op z'n 12e kreeg hij een verfdoos en begon portretten te schilderen. Ook speelde hij viool. Toen hij z'n diploma haalde zei een voogd: je kan alles worden als het maar geen artiest is. Later schreef hij: en dat is me toch gelukt!
Wel was de keuze moeilijk, schilderkunst of muziek.

Hij ging naar de Koninklijke Academie voor Beeldende Kunsten in Den Haag. Daar leerde hij een docent, Paul Citroen kennen. Een heel belangrijk persoon, waarmee hij zijn leven bevriend bleef.
Paul Citroen was oprichter van de Nieuwe Kunstschool in Amsterdam, de eerste Vrije Academie van ons land. Ronald was gegrepen door de revolutionaire inzichten van les geven en besloot daar verder te studeren. In het voorjaar van 1938 maakte Ronald een excursie naar Parijs. Dat maakte grote indruk op hem. Daar was het leven van de grote kunstenaars.
Eind 1938 vertrok Ronald naar Parijs om daar te studeren. Hij nam les bij Kirszenbaum, een Pools-Joodse schilder waar hij veel leerde, heel veel schilderde en exposeerde in Parijs. Kirszenbaum waardeerde zijn Aziatische elementen in zijn werk en leerde Ronald er trots op te zijn en stimuleerde hem, het verder te ontwikkelen.
In de zomer van 1939 werd een studiereis onder leiding van Kirszenbaum in Bretagne abrupt afgebroken door het begin van de oorlog.

Ronald keerde terug naar Nederland met al zijn werk, hij had zoveel geschilderd dat hij meteen kon exposeren in kunstzaal Kunst van onze tijd in Den Haag.
De werken van Ronald waren gevoels expressies. Hij schilderde personen en objecten in olieverf. De vormen zijn vaag en zonder contouren, geschilderd met kleine vlekjes in matte pasteltinten.
Tijdens de oorlog kon hij niet van de kunst leven en werd ambtenaar voor de Nederlandse Visserij Centrale.
In 1940 had hij Elly Vink met haar dochtertje Marya leren kennen. Zij zijn in 1944 getrouwd. Elly werd ziek en Ronald werd tijdens haar ziekteperiode voogd van Marya. Helaas overleed Elly in 1945.

Na de oorlog werd hij als afgevaardigde van de Ned. Visserij Centrale naar een opening van een tentoonstelling van Cees Bolding gestuurd. Cees Bolding was een oud docent waar hij altijd contact mee had gehouden. Hij ontmoette daar eindelijk weer kunstenaars maar ook Phemie. Met Phemie trouwde hij later en zij kregen 2 zoons. Phemie heeft hem zijn hele leven gesteund in z'n werk als kunstenaar.

In 1946 ging Ronald in Parijs op zoek naar Kirszenbaum. Zij vonden elkaar.Hij ging vanaf die tijd regelmatig in zijn atelier werken. Kirszenbaum was heel belangrijk voor Ronald. Hij had behoefte aan reflectie op zijn werk.
Vanaf 1947 veranderde zijn werk. Hij schilderde portretten in een expressieve stijl en ging veel tekenen met Oost-Indische inkt op papier in combinatie met waterverf. Vanaf die tijd ging hij steeds meer met aquarel schilderen. In 1950 werd Ronald lid van Pulchri Studio.

In 1952 werd hij uitgenodigd voor een uitwisselings- programma tussen Nederlandse en Franse kunstenaars. Phemie zei: Menton is om dood te gaan, Annecy om te leven. Dus ging Ronald naar Annecy.
Hij genoot van het landschap en ging er jaarlijks enkele maanden terug om te schilderen (tot 1958). Hij exposeerde zijn werk in Nederland en Parijs.
In 1955 was Ronald mede- initiatiefnemer en oprichter van de Haagse Aquarellisten. Deze vereniging organiseerde vele tentoonstellingen. Ronald zat in het bestuur als secretaris en penningmeester, Phemie was de grote organisator, bij alle tentoonstellingen aanwezig achter haar tafeltje. Ze kende iedereen en wist ook veel werk te verkopen.

Om een heel gezin te onderhouden ging Ronald werken bij de Staatsdrukkerij. Hij volgde een opleiding tot graficus en studeerde grafische vormgeving. Maar gaf er ook tekenles. Dat lesgeven beviel hem, daarvoor besloot hij zijn onderwijs akten tekenen te halen.
Van 1961 tot 1978 heeft hij lesgegeven op middelbare scholen. Hij gunde zijn leerlingen betere en vooral fijnere schooltijd dan hij zelf had gehad. Hij had als schilder ook iets te vertellen natuurlijk.

Ronald en Phemie reisden veel. Overal werd geschilderd of getekend. Wij als kleinkinderen moesten leren skiën vonden ze. Wij werden meegenomen door opa en oma naar Zwitserland of Oostenrijk, de bergen in. Wij werden voorzien van skies en in een skiklasje gezet. Opa en oma gingen wandelen. Opa kwam altijd terug met tekeningen en schilderijen.
Oma was voor de organisatie, opa was wat bescheidener aanwezig. Als het erop aan kwam liet hij van zich horen. Zo mocht ik voor m'n verjaardag in Oostenrijk een skitasje uitzoeken. Plotseling zei opa: je mag kiezen wat je wil maar voor die zou ik me schamen.
Het was er een van zeehondenbont.

Op zijn 62e stopte hij met leraar zijn aan de middelbare school. Wel gaf hij nog les aan de Vrije academie en op het Voorburgs Atelier. Ronald wijdde zich helemaal aan de kunst.
Er werd veel gereisd om te kunnen schilderen en veel geschilderd om te kunnen reizen. Overal werd geschilderd, Frankrijk, Spanje, Oostenrijk, Zwitserland, Engeland en Joegoslavië.
In 1988 maakten zij een reis naar Corsica. In de laatste nacht van hun verblijf daar, werd hun huurauto met al het gemaakte werk gestolen. Een tentoonstelling in Pulchri Studio moest worden afgezegd.

Na 20 jaar naturalistisch te hebben gewerkt nam hij in 1989 vrij plotseling afscheid van deze stijl. Door muziek en muziekinstrumenten geÏnspireerd maakte hij abstracte figuratieve composities met geometrische vormen. Ik herinner me nog goed dat wij op bezoek kwamen en we meteen mee naar boven moesten om zijn nieuwe schilderij te bewonderen. Opa was trots op zijn hele nieuwe werk. Hij was blij nieuwe wegen ingeslagen te zijn. Daar is hij tot het laatst mee doorgegaan.

Ronald was een heel bescheiden man, een man van weinig woorden die zichzelf nooit in het middelpunt zou plaatsen. Hij was heel betrokken en had oog voor de mensen om hem heen.
Kleinzoon Ronald werd geboren in Celje, het vroegere Joegoslavië, nu Slovenië. Net als zijn opa, kwam hij als kind naar Nederland.
Ronald groeide op met de kunst van zijn grootvader. Hij kwam vaak in zijn atelier en bezocht natuurlijk al zijn tentoonstellingen. Na de middelbare school ging hij studeren aan de Willem de Koning Academie in Rotterdam waar hij in 2001 afstudeerde als autonoom schilder.
Ronald raakte geÏnspireerd door opa's portretten en ging zich verdiepen in het portret tekenen. Hij had soms maar een paar lijnen nodig voor een sprekend, raak portret. Haast momentopnames.
Daarna verdiepte hij zich in fantasieën van vrouwenlichamen. Geschilderd in olieverf, strak opgezet, volop in beweging.

Om het expressieve handschrift en keuze van kleuren van schilderijen van zijn grootvader beter te begrijpen, koos hij een Zorgvliet als studieobject. Door die studie heeft hij een heel nieuwe eigen stijl ontwikkeld en schildert hij nu landschappen in de omgeving van zijn huis in Kroatië. Iets wat hij zelf nooit had gedacht. Zo is er een nieuwe generatie Zorgvliet's ontstaan, beiden met een eigen karakter.
Beiden gesigneerd door Ronald Lindgreen.

Geniet van al dit prachtige werk.

-- Susie Endenburg

Leave a comment on Opening speech at Museum Swaensteyn, january 2019 by Susie Endenburg

< Overview